PLEASE tell us you are not drinking instant coffee.) The truth is, brewing coffee can be done without any special equipment or machine at all. You can brew a nice cup of coffee using nothing but common kitchen supplies. While we definitely prefer a French press or a pour over coffee maker, it’s nice to know how to brew coffee without a coffee maker in a pinch. Here are 2 ways to brew coffee without a coffee maker:
Measuring Cup and SieveThis method allows the coffee to mellow in the hot water much like it would in a French press. The filtration process is not perfect, though, so you will get a bit more sludge, but this should mostly sink to the bottom. The steps are simple:
- Heat 500 ml of water to 200 F (or around there).
- Grind 30 grams of coffee coarsely.
- Add grounds to a measuring cup.
- Pour the hot water into the measuring cup.
- Let steep for about 2-4 minutes (depending on how strong you want it).
- Place a sieve (or loose leaf tea basket) over your cup.
- Pour mixture through sieve.
Tea Bag MethodWith this method, you brew a cup of coffee almost exactly as you would brew a cup of tea. However, let us point out right now that although you can buy coffee-filled tea bags at the store, you really shouldn’t. The result of those pre-made coffee bags is a bitter, watery, unpleasant disaster. Instead, keep a pack of empty tea bags on hand. Alternatively, cut a coffee filter down to size and tie it closed with a string.
- Heat water (roughly 280-300 ml for a single cup). Aim for a lower temperature between 175 and 200.
- Grind 16-20 grams of coffee (depending on desired strength) to a medium grind.
- Pour into your tea bag (or modified coffee filter). Close it.
- Place coffee bag in your mug.
- Pour hot water in your mug. Don’t pour directly on the bag. Pour next to it.
- Let steep 2-3 minutes.
- Remove bag and serve.